The Myth about Nuclear Families

We live in a generation of nuclear families and I have always loved the space, the freedom, the independence we have at home. So many times we listen to people condemning kids brought up in nuclear families that I am always up for a debate for the same. So I really wanted to scribble some of the most common comments and how I really feel about them. Here they go!

Nuclear family= Gadget addict kids:
To be frank I strongly feel that gadgets are only a matter of convenience for the parents. I still get really disturbed when I see kids in public places swiping iPads or phone, completely aloof from the world around them. If you can spend quality time with ur kid, if you have the patience to play with them, if you are willing to run behind them, if you can take a little effort to take them to the park or play area, you are never going to see a gadget addicted kid. It has nothing to do with nuclear families.

Kids brought up in nuclear families talk late:
I have heard this around 201 times for the past 21 months and this is so wrong. Let us take an example, I wake up in the morning, while I am busy cooking breakfast I hear constant babbling between my toddler and my husband (mostly about the football match that happened the previous day or new model of a car or so on), we eat breakfast together (no running around, no force feeding), we sit and talk and eat. As it is just me and the toddler in the house whole day, I narrate to him the things I do, I tell him stories, I show him flash cards or photographs and show him things and people. So in a way he is constantly listening to words that too with undivided attention. We really don't need a dozen people around to teach them how to talk!

Kids brought up in nuclear families don't know how to share:
Kids are mini humans and they like to imitate things, our actions work far better than words with them, they learn things faster from what they see us doing. For example if he sees us sharing things with our spouse or the toddler himself he will definitely try to do the same. When you say sorry when you are wrong and thank you when others do something nice to you, you would be amazed when you see your toddler doing the same at a similar situation. Our son gives away his toys when at the park, don't mind when other kids explore his toy box or ride his favorite car. Tell them to do something a hundred times and you would only be disappointed, show them how to do it and you would be amazed by the way they imbibe them :)

Being in a nuclear family doesn't really effect the kid in a negative way, in fact I have seen a lot of positives to it. I have seen kids brought up in joint families as well and trust me I have got convinced that it is just a myth that kids are far better, speak quickly, learn sharing and caring when brought up in joint families. So next time someone tells you something about your kid, you know what to say!

Comments